Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"A Black Belt is a White Belt that never Quit"

This I know to be true. After more than six years, hundreds of hours of training, thousands of burpees, kicks and punches, lots of sweat and some tears, I am a black belt. I am not an extraordinary athlete. I am not the strongest. I don’t have the best kicks or the hardest punches. What it takes to be a black belt is more than just being good at those things. A black belt has a desire to learn and change and grow. A black belt has a dedication to their instructors, school and to learning the material. A black belt has discipline to follow through when it gets harder than they ever thought it would be. 

I like the story about how a martial artist used to become a black belt. When a student would begin training, they were given a belt and they would train, day in and day out, year after year. And then one day they notice they have trained so long and so hard their belt is black. 

This story reminds me that underneath the black is the white. I am always first and foremost a student. I make it a point to learn something new everyday. It might be a skill I have never seen or improving on an old skill. Sometimes I learn from my instructor. Sometimes I learn from my students. It is so important to me that I train with the humility of a white belt and at the same time the perseverance of a black belt.

I wish I could tell you all the things I have learned over the years. How they have changed me and shaped my life. But those experiences were individually mine. Just as your experiences as a martial artist will be uniquely yours. I do know that you will face times in your training when you will feel uncertain of your ability. And that is okay. Trust that you will learn what you need to learn when it is time. There will also be times when you will wonder why you can’t learn more techniques and faster. These are the times you need to remember it is not a race. Slow down and enjoy what you are learning right now. There will be times when you don’t know how you are going to remember everything. You will remember. And you will forget. And then you will remember it again!

The most interesting aspect of training, testing and being promoted to black belt is the shift that my thinking took. In the beginning, it was all about the numbers. How many techniques I needed to get a purple belt, how much more I needed to know to get a brown belt. The numbers are important, yes, but for me it turned into being more about my mindset and growth.  

The black belt principles are a guide for me everyday. Being a martial artist is not something that I do, it is who I am. The student creeds are not just to be recited, but truly understood and lived on a daily basis. And this might be the most important part…. it is possible for everyone to live by the black belt principles, and live the student creeds. So it is possible for every one, whether you are a white belt or black belt, to have a black belt attitude.

My life is so full of blessings because of Sigung and Sifu. I have met so many people and made amazing friends. I have found a passion for teaching kids. I am also lucky enough to be able to share all of this with my husband and kids. I feel very honored to be a black belt and represent my school, my instructors, my students and my family. So to you I simply say, keep training. Leave the best you have on the mat everyday. Enjoy the great times. Fight through the tough times. And one day you too can be a black belt. I know this because if I can, you can!
- Ms Jessica B


No comments:

Kajukenbo Motto: Train Strong to Remain Strong

Kajukenbo Arizona is a traditional martial arts school specializing in real self-defense through the art of Kajukenbo. Kajukenbo was founded in 1947 and is credited as being the first American martial art. Kajukenbo is a blend of five styles: Karate, Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Kenpo and Kung Fu. Feel free to visit our school and see our programs for all ages! We also offer CrossPIT classes based on the world-famous Pit Conditioning System. Classes are 30-minutes of high-intensity old-school cardio. CrossPIT memberships available!