Monday, June 17, 2013

I Am a Martial Artist - by Katie Crowder




I joined Kaju AZ 5.5 years ago in January 2008.  However, in recent months as I have reflected on my journey I realized it began much earlier than that.  In 9th grade I took a semester long self defense class.  I don't remember much about the class, but I do remember loving it.  Years later as a young mom, I met an older woman at church who was a martial artist.  I thought wow that is impressive.  She taught a self defense class to a group of women at church and again I loved it.  The one thing I remember from that class was she encouraged us to think of an animal that we saw as strong, powerful and/or fierce and to use that image as motivation if ever we found a need to defend ourselves.  

Fast forward to 2005, when I first met the Corders.  I had an opportunity to visit with Sifu  Jen Corder on a regular basis and learned about her family doing martial arts.  Again, I was wowed and intrigued.  So when Sifu Jen invited me to a free self defense class at NAK I just knew I had to go. And I would have to say that is when I was officially hooked.  Something about martial arts just resonated with my spirit.  It ignited a fire deep within.  It felt so great to punch something and to yell.  It would be another year or two before the Corders opened their own dojo and longer still before I officially joined.  But now 5.5 years later, it is one of the best decisions of my life.  My life would not be complete without it.  Martial arts is no longer something I do, it is who I am. 

No comments:

Kajukenbo Motto: Train Strong to Remain Strong

Kajukenbo Arizona is a traditional martial arts school specializing in real self-defense through the art of Kajukenbo. Kajukenbo was founded in 1947 and is credited as being the first American martial art. Kajukenbo is a blend of five styles: Karate, Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Kenpo and Kung Fu. Feel free to visit our school and see our programs for all ages! We also offer CrossPIT classes based on the world-famous Pit Conditioning System. Classes are 30-minutes of high-intensity old-school cardio. CrossPIT memberships available!