Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Team Hicks Breaks Records at Mt. Kili!


At 1:00 am AZ time, June 29th, 2009 Team Hicks made it to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro and broke two world records -- the largest group of blind climbers as well as the the youngest blind climber (13 years old) to accomplish this amazing feat.

Sibak Tom arrived home on July 2nd and shared these comments with Professor and Aunty Lim:

"Our Ohana's presence at the airport send off and homecoming inspired our entire team. ... I love our Ohana so much. Many times in the past couple of weeks I was inspired by thoughts of each of you. I felt you on the mountain. I never thought of quitting or giving up and I always felt protected by your prayers and positive energy... On Kilimanjaro Team Hicks never lost focus, never fell apart, and we were the first to touch the 19,340 feet summit sign! As we made our way toward the summit all I thought of was all our Ohana praying for us. I never got a blister. I was the only blind climber to not hold on to my guides. I ascended and descended the same way. I wanted to trek independently, using my trekking poles, make my way up God's mountain! He allowed me this gift. I am so proud and am still just enjoying the memories on the great Kilimanjaro! Kili did not devour my soul. We respected her completely and faced our fears with humility every day. I feel changed forever for the incredible experience! ...

Very Respectfully,

Tom"

1 comment:

Jonathan Hedden said...

You are an inspiration to us all! You show us that anything can be done with will, determination and hard work.

Kajukenbo Motto: Train Strong to Remain Strong

Kajukenbo Arizona is a traditional martial arts school specializing in real self-defense through the art of Kajukenbo. Kajukenbo was founded in 1947 and is credited as being the first American martial art. Kajukenbo is a blend of five styles: Karate, Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Kenpo and Kung Fu. Feel free to visit our school and see our programs for all ages! We also offer CrossPIT classes based on the world-famous Pit Conditioning System. Classes are 30-minutes of high-intensity old-school cardio. CrossPIT memberships available!