Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Another Loss to Kajukenbo: Grandmaster Allen Abad

Grandmaster Allen Abad, Kajukenbo practitioner, dear friend and mentor to Kajukenbo Arizona, passed away about 9 pm on Monday, April 6th. He battled pancreatic cancer with dignity for the past two years.

Grandmaster was an inspiring martial artist that was always quick to smile and share his knowledge. His techniques and movements were often described as "liquid fire." He was a faithful and loyal member of the Kajukenbo Ohana.

We were honored to have him at our Ohana Luau and Black Belt Promotion on March 21, 2009. We appreciate the sacrifices he made on our behalf. We will miss his impromptu visits to our school and his stories of experiences and training with Sijo.

In January, Grandmaster promoted our own Sifu. We are forever grateful for the legacy he has given Kaju AZ directly to us and through our Professor George Lim.

Our thoughts and prayers are extended to his family. At Grandmaster's request, his services will be held in May.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:o( It is a tragedy to hear of this loss, but I feel SO blessed & so lucky to have been in the presence of Grandmaster Allen Abad & to have gotten the chance to hear some of his stories & see him promote Sifu. His legend will live on through the art of Kajukenbo and through the hearts of all of the lives he has touched.
~Jenni~

Anonymous said...

On behalf of the Abad girls we thank you for your kind and compassionate words.

Love,
The Abad girls.

SFC CHUN said...

I was trained, mentored and groomed for the rest of my life by Grand Master Abad. My first days of him were in San Diego Ca at the Mira Mar Naval Airbase next to the pool. I did not want to train under Grand Master because my current teachings was Japanesse Karate - but my mom was the first female black belt holder in the Kenpo syatem in Hawaii (Elizabeth Kahaleleponi Edwards) under Professow Chow, so she sent me against my will. How blessed I was that he trained me for several years. The training that Grand Master gave me is embedded in my lifestyle as well as in my work ethics. I was hoping to see my master again one day - but I heard that something had happen to Grand Master and I wasn't for sure what it was. I have been in the US Army for 20 years and im preparing for retirement. I remember the Abad girls at the pool, Auntie Girlie, Cousin Rod, and Grand Masters brother and sister. Who would come to my mom - Kumu Poni to learn hula. My Name is SFC Jose R Chun, I will never forget the guidence and respect that Grand Master passed on to me - I instill this in my children now. To the Abad Family and Auntie Girlie - if you ever need anything please contact me at the following e-mail address - Im sorry that its been so long.............God Bless you Grand Master - I miss you more than ever now............. Aloha Nui Loa.
Very Respectfully,
SFC Chun
d.chun@insightbb.com

Unknown said...

i did not have a long time to get to know grandmaster allen abad, but the time that i did have with him was a learning experience! he was a great man and teacher. one man that i will never forget. rest in peace
- jason -

Kajukenbo Motto: Train Strong to Remain Strong

Kajukenbo Arizona is a traditional martial arts school specializing in real self-defense through the art of Kajukenbo. Kajukenbo was founded in 1947 and is credited as being the first American martial art. Kajukenbo is a blend of five styles: Karate, Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Kenpo and Kung Fu. Feel free to visit our school and see our programs for all ages! We also offer CrossPIT classes based on the world-famous Pit Conditioning System. Classes are 30-minutes of high-intensity old-school cardio. CrossPIT memberships available!